I Heart My Vitamix!

I've had a Vitamix for about 2 weeks now and absolutely LOVE it! I can honestly say that I've used it pretty much everyday since it arrived, and sometimes 2 and 3 times a day. Definitely a worthwhile purchase (I opted for the refurbished model to bring the cost down a bit).

One of my favorite concoctions is my Post-Workout Breakfast Ice-cream. Who wouldn't love some ice cream for breakfast?!? And this version is protein packed and good for you! Here is the recipe:

POST-WORKOUT BREAKFAST ICE-CREAM
4 to 5 oz full fat organic coconut milk
1 T vanilla extract
2 TB organic ground flax seed
1 scoop no-sugar protein powder, plain or vanilla (I use the Plain Warrior Whey by Defense Nutrition*)
1/2 T raw organic cacao powder
3 big dashes cinnamon
1 cup organic frozen fruit- strawberry is my preference, but I've tried combinations of strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and peach and all are delicious! What's important is that the fruit is frozen.
5 or 6 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in the Vitamix, turn it on, up to 10 quickly and then to high, and use the tamper to push the frozen items into the blade. Once everything is blended, 4 mounds will form and this is when you should turn the machine off or it will start melting (the ice-cream, not the machine). In total, this takes 30 to 60 seconds. And then you have yummy breakfast ice-cream. This is one serving, so it's all yours, no sharing! You're getting about 20 grams of protein, which you need after a workout, a serving of fruit, heart-healthy omega-3's from flax, the anti-inflammatory effects of cinnamon, and healthy fats plus many other benefits of coconut from the milk.

* I searched high and low for an acceptable whey protein powder and I highly recommend Warrior Whey by Defense Nutrition. The Plain flavor only has 2 ingredients: non-denatured whey protein concentrate from grass-fed cows and sunflower lecithin, not soy lecithin. It tastes great- very mild and just like powdered milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment